Monday, April 21, 2014

Enabling Power of the Atonement

April 21, 2014

Family,

Well this last week was a busy one but definitely a great experience! Ill try and talk about as much stuff as I can if I can remember everything, but I'll probably forget some. So I'll just start off with Monday night... One of the coolest things on my mission to be a part of was finalizing everything for transfers. We walked into President Judd's office and we knelt down and President Judd gave the most amazing prayer about being directed by the holy spirit to place the missionaries in the right area. Then we just started moving around pictures of the missionaries in different areas and different companions seeing which one we felt right about. It was awesome because we could joke around and have an awesome time together with President and the holy spirit directed us on the correct path. As I look at the companionships now I feel like it was a success! The whole thing reminded me of that talk when they placed the missionaries in their assigned mission. I can’t remember who gave that talk right now but it was similar to that. I hope you understand what I’m saying.  

Wednesday morning we had to wake up at 4 am to drive and pick up the new missionaries from the MTC. By the way, driving in Ghana is nuts and is hard to get used to! But I feel comfortable now! (Kade has an uncanny sense of direction like his cousin, Randy Anderson. We always told him he would probably serve a mission where that skill would be utilized.)We brought the new missionaries to the mission home around 7:30 and they had to do some work with Elder and Sister Crisp, who are wonderful.  Then we had a new missionary devotional where Elder Izekor and I gave instruction then President Judd gave the new missionaries their trainers. We finished that up around 2 pm and had to help all the people in need on the transfer day! We were actually able to even teach a few lessons in the night but I was dead tired, and fell asleep right away! I hope I can last without any naps and not very much sleep :)

The rest of the week was pretty calm and we were able proselyte a lot. I guess we will still teach around 25 lessons a week and so that will be nice. Sunday nights are very busy doing the numbers for the mission. We didn’t get to bed until midnight last night, but it is all good!

Our area is 75 percent military barracks and we can’t be there too late because I’m white and so sometimes the work is slow, but currently we are working with some awesome investigators! Elder Izekor is a great missionary and a joy to be around.

On a nasty note we saw a 7 yr. old boy crying in a tub of water naked and we asked what the problem was and we noticed that they had just circumcised him...... I felt bad for the kid, but I guess in Kenya it's a tradition they don’t circumcise them until they are 14.... awkward lol.

But back to the good stuff, our 1st counselor works for the USA embassy and he is from Spokane Washington. Him, his wife and three children live here. They were actually married in Columbia River Washington temple...small world. He is a very nice man. His name is Matthew Robinson I think. And if Steve McGary comes to Ghana by all means I will see him because where we stay is right next to the temple.  I don’t know what he looks like tho. lol

Also Happy Easter! Can’t believe it’s already here! Soon I will be 20 yrs. old! So weird to think about! I have been really studying Christ's death and the Resurrection this last week. It was a great experience.  I was thinking about everything. A lot of people testify of the Healing power of the Atonement, which is great and without it we are nothing, but I just want to testify of the Enabling power of the Atonement. This is unique doctrine to the church that Christ not only suffered for our sins but also for our sickness, infirmities, afflictions, death, and so forth. I would encourage everyone to study Alma 7 this next week and learn more about the Atonement. It is an infinite Atonement and we are nothing without it. I love you all and hope you have a great week! I am excited for Kaitlan and David this week!


Elder Kade Eppich

No comments:

Post a Comment